Friday 24 August 2012

Day 24: A Mini Vacation and a Wedding!

I'm going on a trip! Tomorrow I will be travelling to Halifax for a friend's wedding. I can't wait to see her walking down the aisle. And the party afterwards is going to be like a university reunion! We are then staying in Halifax until Tuesday. We plan on visiting the Greyhound Pets of Atlantic Canada (GPAC) kennel too. This is where Fury made a short layover on his way to our home and hearts. But GPAC is the organization that arranges to get the dogs from racetracks in the states and who is responsible for making sure they are in good health and then getting them adopted. Fury stayed there for about a week before he came to our home, but many other Greys have spent time there too. Right now they probably have a dozen or so dogs (I'm guessing) who are living at the kennel. Our plan is not to bring one home but just to travel out, see the kennel, meet some of the volunteers, maybe spend some money at the store and play with the greys that are currently living there. The whole 4 days are going to be exciting! But a little scary in trying to stay Whole30 compliant. Although I've got a few strategies...




First, we are renting a car at the airport so our first stop is going to be a grocery store. I plan on bringing some of those muffins that I made earlier this week, some almonds, an apple or two, a few larabars and maybe some plantain chips. But we will need to pick up coconut milk, carbonated water, and 100% fruit juice. I'm hoping that this supply will help me throughout the few days. I've decided to not stress over the dinner at the wedding. I've taken the steak option, if it comes with BBQ, I'll scrape off whatever I can, I'll eat the salad and veggies and avoid dessert and any clearly non-Whole30 foods. But I will eat. I won't stress over the possibilities. I just can't. I'm not giving up on the Whole30 but I'm not going to let it ruin my evening either. In saying that, I don't intend to drink anything from the wedding except water. Here's where the carbonated water comes in. We have a hotel room in the same hotel as the wedding tomorrow night so I'm going to stick the water and the fruit juice in my room and as the dance starts and everyone is lining up at the bar, I'm going to sneak up and fill my glass with carbonated water and a splash of fruit juice! I don't like club soda so pretty much anything at the bar is out anyway.

The next challenge will be eating out. And there is a restaurant that Barry is dying to go to that is all southern BBQ style. Yikes! I love that kind of food. But we are going to review the menu together and if I find that the temptation will be too much, we are going to get take-out for Barry and we'll get something else for me to eat back at the hotel. Pretty good strategy huh? Barry came up with it! He's so supportive! 

So I'm going away armed with Whole30 compliant snacks and drinks and a plan for eating out. There will be other challenges I'm sure, but I'll work through them. I won't be posting for the next few days though. So have a good weekend! Check back on Tuesday and I'll tell you how it went. 


2 comments:

  1. Have SO much fun in my home town!! (We'll just miss each other by a couple of days - I arrive Thursday night!) I recommend the Wooden Monkey as a great place to eat. All local, organic stuff, and definitely gluten-free. Might be tricky to navigate some soy, but there should be lots of stuff to choose from. (You can look up their menu online.)

    Your dining-out strategy sounds great. That's basically what I plan to do when I head back next weekend. I hope you have a great time at the wedding and through your whole stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and also Brooklyn Warehouse!!

    ReplyDelete