Thursday 9 August 2012

Day 8: What do you mean it's 11pm?

So, this is just a quick post for yesterday, Day 8. I will be writing another for today, Day 9 later this evening. I just didn't want to skip over Day 8 like it didn't exist, but it almost didn't the way the day just zoomed right by. I found myself thinking that I needed to write my post but when I looked at my clock it was 11pm!! Yikes! I needed to get to bed, I had fallen asleep on the couch watching tv with Barry. But here's just a quick recap of my food for the day. Stay tuned for Day 9 later.


Food Diary
Breakfast: sweet potato casserole and two slices of pork belly
Lunch: 3/4 avocado, 3 leftover boneless chicken thighs (I reheated more than that but I couldn't eat it all)
Supper: a huge taco salad with lettuce fresh from the garden, some red pepper, cucumber, avocado, jalapenos (which Barry cut for me), salsa and ground hamburger meat fried with cumin, chili powder and red chili flakes. YUM! Thanks to Jaclyn for the idea!
Snacks: peppermint tea (probably what made me fall asleep on the couch) and a glass of carbonated water with a splash of 100% fruit juice.


4 comments:

  1. What can you tell me about pork belly? Is it mostly fat, or is there meat there too? Is it basically just uncured bacon? How do you prepare it?

    P.S. You just reminded me of how much I used to love peppermint tea. I drank it a lot through my second and third pregnancies, but haven't had it since. I think it's time to buy another box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday must have been the day for peppermint tea, and coincidentally Jac, Starbucks. I went through the drive through with the intention of getting a plain iced tea only to discover all of their iced teas are pre-mixed and pre-sweetened. I opted for a soothing peppermint tea instead. I love that stuff too!

      Delete
  2. Peppermint tea is amazing. I actually started drinking it a few years ago for my IBS. Apparently your stomach doesn't have normal pain receptors so taking an Advil when you have a bout of IBS won't help. But peppermint has a soothing effect on the gut. Peppermint calms the muscles of the stomach and improves the flow of bile, which the body uses to digest fats. As a result, food passes through the stomach more quickly. It also relaxes the muscles that allow painful digestive gas to pass. So it's a win win. Yummy and good for you! And most peppermint tea is caffeine free.

    I bought a pack of pork belly for the first time last week. Got it at the local grocery store. It is just uncured bacon, it's usually really thick cut and there is meat in there too. I fried mine in the pan and cooked it really well so a lot of the fat ended up in the pan instead of on the meat. I did also trim it before cooking to reduce the amount of fat. Not that I don't want to eat fat, but since the pig was likely factory farmed, I couldn't be sure how many bad things might have been absorbed in the fat. Then I spread it out on some paper towel and patted off the excess grease. When it was cooled I just packed it in the fridge for use at breakfast. It tastes pretty much like ham, but it's a nice side to breakfast instead of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! First, I actually didn't know that much about peppermint tea - I just knew it helped my nausea somewhat while pregnant! And I'm going to have to keep my eye open for pork belly - I bet my husband would love it. :)

      Delete