Monday 13 August 2012

Day... er, what day is it?

See? The Whole30 is so awesome, that I totally forgot what day it is! I'm not on a countdown; not wishing that the 30 days were over so that I can go back to eating junk food. Wow, that's a pretty special feeling! There are temptations but overall I feel pretty comfortable in this new way of eating. Even drinking my coffee with coconut milk is getting easier.

I wasn't able to post all weekend due to technical difficulties, see realistic depiction to the left, so I'm going to try to give you a quick run down of what my weekend looked like...


Saturday was a relaxing morning with coffee, breakfast and a few episodes of "The West Wing" - my new television indulgence. In the afternoon I went for a run, and took Fury with me. I was a little nervous at first. Fury is an ex-racing Greyhound and racers are generally sprinters, not marathoners. Not that I was going for a marathon, but I wanted to get in at least 5km and I was a little nervous that he would give up on me halfway along. Can you imagine? What a workout that would have been; me carrying a 70lb Greyhound back to the car because he just stopped and wouldn't go any further? They have been known to do that. But he was great! Given that it was his first time out for a run with me, he was really well behaved. He is really good on a leash anyway, but he seemed to get used to the rythem of 10 minute run (no sniffing or peeing) and 1 minute walk (sniff and pee away) pretty quickly. He was pretty beat when we finished but luckily, we parked near a boat launch/beach, and he was able to walk out into the water. He stood "knee" deep in the water while I splashed it all over him. And then he got to enjoy the ride home with his head out the window (shhh, don't tell Barry). We got home and he immediately went to sleep. He slept through supper and we had to wake him and pull him outside to pee before bed. He was even too tired to eat a treat! Interesting to see what result activity like that has on the dog, no wonder the Whole9 crowd spend so much time talking about sleep!
That evening, we were invited out to a BBQ for a friends birthday and a housewarming party. I called my friend in advance and asked what would be served at the BBQ. Turns out, most of the items were not Whole30 compliant; white potatos, hamburgers, scalloped potatos, etc. I politely asked if anyone would mind if I brought my own food and the response was a big supportive "not at all". So I brought a huge sweet potato and a steak, a bottle of carbonated water and some 100% fruit juice as mix. I even brought a fruit salad just in case I was tempted by birthday cake and needed something sweet. Everyone was quite interested in hearing about the Whole30, and they were all so supportive! I don't know why I was worried in the first place, I should have known better. The hostess had made a spinach salad and had even left out some of her regular ingredients just so I could eat it too. Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. You probably don't even realize all the support you offer me by just listening.

The housewarming was a little tougher but I held out against all the good looking food (the host is actually a cook at the best Italian pizza joints in town - Piatto - so you can imagine what the food was like). I kept myself on the straight and narrow by making a deal with myself. If I could hold out at the house warming, I would allow myself to have some plantain chips and salsa once I got home, even though it was late. And I did it! Yay! I survived Saturday's temptations!

Saturday's food:
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with salsa, sauteed veggie mix (sweet pepper, tomato, mushrooms, green onion) with proscuitto, and a small bowl of strawberries
Supper: Striploin steak, sweet potato, spinach salad
Snacks: Carbonated water with 100% fruit juice, banana ice cream, plantain chips and salsa. 

In comparison, Sunday was a rather uneventful day. I spent most of the day in the kitchen preparing food for the week and cleaning up after myself. I finished reading "It Starts With Food" and watched a movie in the evening.

Sunday's food:
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with salsa, veggie mix (mushrooms, onions, asperagus, sweet pepper, broccoli slaw mix, green tomatos and red tomatos) with proscuitto and almonds, and a small bowl of strawberries
Supper: Fresh cod fried with dill and lemon, fried carrots, roasted cauliflower and squash. 
Snacks: banana ice cream, a few plantain chips with my movie. 

And here we are, back to Monday again. I'm feeling a little tired today but it's probably because I didn't get to bed until later than normal last night. In fact I came home from work and had a nap. Normally, I would be tossing and turning trying to fall asleep and then desperately trying to claw myself back to the world of the living. Today, I lay down and closed my eyes and was asleep within 5 minutes. I did have a bit of trouble getting back up, but it was not quite as bad as usually.

Today's food:
Breakfast: veggie mix (from yesterday)
Lunch: Leftover cod, roasted cauliflower, fried carrots and a fruit salad.
Supper: BBQ's chicken thighs with louisiana hot sauce, leftover mixed veggies, plantain chips, cinnamon tea and banana ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment