Tuesday 14 August 2012

Happy half-way eve

Tomorrow will be day 15 of this Whole30, how awesome is that? To celebrate, I am hoping for good weather so I can bring the monkeys blueberry picking. I understand the barrens are positively bursting this year and although I am not a lover of picking them, there is nothing like the taste of a wild Newfoundland blueberry...nothing! In fact, the grandparents brought some freshly picked berries down a couple of nights ago and the the boys dove into them, cramming fistfuls into their mouths.
My only regret is that the because the berries are a little early this year and coinciding with the middle of my Whole30, I won't be enjoying a berry shortcake with whipped cream, or a fresh blueberry pie. I make a mean wheat-laden crispy golden pastry crust and I would likely indulge now if it wasn't for the Whole30. Oh well, I'll just freeze those babies and we will use them all year round. A typical breakfast for the kids in our house is yogurt (Balkan style plain), blueberries and honey. They adore it, it's like comfort food to them. Five mornings out of seven it's what they choose, and because they don't seem to have a problem with dairy, I am good with that.

It's late (board meeting went until 11:00, so much for my resolution for early bed) so I'll just do a quick recap of daily eats.

Breakfast: two fluffy scrambled eggs with hot sauce, plus a side of *cumin roasted cauliflower and carrots (recipe below)

Lunch: took the kids to Montana's where I had nothing, had zoodle bowl when I got home

Dinner: one bison burger, garlicky sautéed mushrooms, cucumber plus remainder of cumin roasted cauliflower and carrots

Snacks: two brownie bites (my riff on Larabars)

*Cauliflower dusted with spices and roasted until brown and crispy is delightful...take it from me, I've been trying to make a roasted cauliflower soup for well over three years, but I always end up eating 2/3 of the pan while it's cooling.

Roasted cauliflower
1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and broken into bite size florets (smaller the better, more surface to caramelize)
Olive oil or avocado oil
Kosher Salt
Cumin or smoked paprika

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Toss cauliflower well with oil on baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle on spices and kosher salt
4. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, turning pan every so often. Toss florets and return to oven for another ten minutes until golden brown with lots of crispy bits.
5. Try not to burn tongue when scarfing down the deliciousness - seriously, it's that good. And I am totally not a fan of cauliflower otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. There is NOTHING like wild blueberries! Around here, those giant, flavour-less high bush things pass for blueberries. It's sad. I actually don't eat blueberries at all here - only when I go back east and get the teeny tiny flavour-explosion variety. :)

    ReplyDelete