Thursday 2 August 2012

Haunted by the sugar demon

This morning began with me chopping dark orange chocolate for scones I was making for my oldest to bring as a hostess gift to a play date he was heading to this afternoon. It made me salivate - I adore chocolate.
I didn't give in, but it wasn't easy. I hear the scones were a hit.

Then my baby demanded M&M's while grocery shopping this afternoon - specifically peanut butter ones. I bought a bag, opened them in the car to give babe some and was hit with that unmistakable smell of candy and salty peanut butter. My nose found its way inside the bag, I inhaled deeply, then texted Leanne. I needed help, I needed to be accountable. That reaching out did it and this is why a buddy for any major change is so important. When we got home from grocery shopping I treated myself to a spoonful of almond butter, then some prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. The murderous desire for those candies that melt in your mouth, not in your hand evaporated. So I know I can survive this, it's just not always fun or easy in the moment.

Part of my issue is not eating lunch. Being home this month is great in some respects, but in others it is going to pose a challenge. The absence of established routine, for one. I'm eating a huge breakfast and then not really hungry until around 2:00. I need to make sure I have avocados and the like at the ready for those times. I find my body responds really well to the extra fat.

Onwards and upwards.

Today's eats:                                                                                                                                                        
Breakfast:
Tex-Mex turkey with sweet potato, kale and mushroom frittata and a bowl of pineapple, cantaloupe and watermelon with coconut cream. If you haven't bought canned coconut milk and whipped it yet, you are missing out.









Dinner:
Delicious pork souvlaki, grilled zucchini and peppers plus cucumber and tomato crudité. I regret not getting a picture of the grill, it looked great with all the skewers threaded with colourful vegetables.










Snacks: the afore-mentioned almond butter, prosciutto and melon plus half a nectarine after dinner. I also just made some Larabars with dates, walnuts, almonds and cinnamon. They aren't set yet, but I did lick the spatula.


You really should make this souvlaki, it's dead easy and so flavourful.
Pork Souvlaki

Ingredients:
3 Pork tenderloins: cut lengthways into quarters, then 2 inch cubes
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons, juiced (1/2 cup juice)
4 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced to a paste
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (not table salt!)
A few grinds of pepper from mill

Wooden skewers: these are preferred to metal skewers for meat as wood does not conduct heat, thus the inside of your meat will not be overcooked.

Mix olive oil through salt and pepper in blender or if you have an immersion blender, in measuring cup. Blend until mixture is emulsified (completely combined). Put pork cubes in non-reactive bowl, pour olive oil marinade over, stir to coat well. Cover and place in fridge for at least six hours and up to 24.

Soak wooden skewers for at least an hour prior to use. Thread meat onto skewers length-wise, being sure not to crowd pieces. Grill until done.

If not Whole30ing, this is amazing with good Tzatziki sauce. My kids adore souvlaki, it's a clear favourite for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. We make souvlaki all the time (both pork and chicken) but we add a fair bit of crushed garlic to our marinade. (We're a little garlic crazy.) We just can't bring ourselves to eat it WITHOUT tzatziki, so it's never appeared on Whole30 menus for us. I wonder if I could make a tzatziki substitute with full-fat coconut milk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I am exhausted and so not following the Whole9's sleep protocol. I add a lot of garlic (5 cloves today!) and a minced shallot to this. Thanks for catching that, Jac. Without garlic, could it even be souvlaki?

      Must get some sleep!

      Delete
  2. Steve - the supportive husband of Nic3 August 2012 at 11:46

    I have to second on the delicious pork souvlaki - Costco's doesn't even compare.

    ReplyDelete