Friday 3 August 2012

It's not so bad

I don't know if I am hitting my stride or have been lulled into a false sense of serenity, but today didn't seem as bad as yesterday. This despite the fact that I was at no less than two movies today (one in the theatre with big brother bear, one backyard showing for kids on our street) and was surrounded by chocolate and salty popcorn temptations at both.
I whipped up some date and nut bars last night, turned them into little balls instead and rolled them in coconut. I brought two of those with me to the matinee and it did the trick. Likely total SWYPO (this means Sex With Your Pants On, check out how the Whole9 explain it) but I abstained from adding chocolate, so I'm not going to beat myself up.

I've got a possible big day tomorrow, so I should get in bed asap. Here's today's eats:

Breakfast: Tex-Mex turkey with sweet potato, three eggs scrambled in ghee, a clementine and two coffee with coconut milk

Lunch/Snack: Banana, two cinnamon-kissed date, nut and coconut truffles (See? It's all in the marketing. That sounds so much more gratifying and extravagant than "balls")

Dinner: fantastic grilled strip loin prepared by lovely husband, grilled veggies, asparagus, avocado and nectarine

Writing that I wonder if I am eating enough. This is something I struggle with - when I am satisfied, I'm satisfied. So I haven't had any real lunch the last two days, but holy moly, believe me when I say I am not hungry. If I was, you'd hear about it. And my breakfasts have been relatively late and big as well...I think I am ok.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking I eat lunch more out of habit than hunger. Or at least I don't need to be eating as early as I do. I just eat because I've already prepared food for four other people, so I may as well join them. I am interested in messing around with my meal spacing/numbers but I'm worried perhaps I should wait until after I have finished weaning BB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you mention this. I am back wheat free again this month after slacking off and I forgot how quickly I am not hungry during the day. As I type, I am thinking that it is time for my mid-morning snack but I am not hungry. I noticed this too while in Europe, no additives and crap in the food and they eat smaller portions. It took a couple days to get used to and then the whole family is eating much less and is satisfied eating good food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tori and Jac,

      I am sometimes incredulous at how my appetite has changed since eliminating wheat (except for pizza about once every 5 weeks). Within a week after swearing the stuff off, I rarely needed snacks. If I had a good breakfast (read: fats, protein and veg), I'd have to remind myself to eat lunch. If I think about it at all, the whole "low-calorie, low-fat" snack industry makes me sad and angry. Most people who depend on these items as healthy choices aren't at all aware that they are sabotaging their health and any desired weight loss by eating these products. No wonder I could never, ever be satisfied with the 100 calorie Oreo wafer snack packs, one would turn into three and I would wonder why...now I know the very thing you are eating has an appetite stimulant in it (gliadin).
      Luckily I never fell for the whole low-fat yogurt/dairy craze - but that was not for calorie watching reasons, it simply didn't have the mouth-feel that is so satisfying in products with real fat.

      Tori - you are right on with the European observation. I spent a year there in my early 20s and it forever influenced my perspective on North American processed foods and serving sizes. The difference is mind-blowing - and sadly, deadly.

      Delete