Wednesday 8 August 2012

Why I love fat

One of the hallmarks of any good Paleo or Primal meal is making sure a good dose of healthy fat forms part of what is on your plate. I know....whoa! Fat? Really? Yup, for real, people. A bit of a leap from cut all the fat as much as possible!! that has been screamed at us for the last twenty years. As I started exploring the Paleo and Primal frameworks, this actually appealed to me, because it is reflective of their mantra to eat real food. I have resisted the low-fat movement for years as a result of my belief that if you can't enjoy the real thing (butter, yogurt) then why bother?
Many moons ago I saw Suzanne Somers on Larry King (peanut gallery, I know you are out there - I'm waiting for your comments), she was explaining how eating low-fat versions of foods like yogurt, ice cream or butter was counter productive because in order to make the lower fat items palatable, fillers high in carbohydrates had to be added. I felt vindicated in my choices all those years. And besides, all the low/non fat stuff tastes at best like a poor relation of the real thing, at worst disgusting. This goes back to the fact that food is not just fuel for me, I have to enjoy it in order to want to eat it. I'd rather eat a small amount of the real thing and enjoy every second of it than a whole pan/container of something that is subpar - for this I have been called "food snob" more than once in my life.

When good fats are eaten along with other healthy choices, they enable us to feel satiety much more quickly than the low/no fat substitutes. You know what this means? We eat less - because we are full! Cue the chorus, note the break through. You eat less because you don't need any more, not because you met your points or calorie quotient for the day. So you've eaten what you wanted, let's say a bowl of lovely fresh raspberries and blueberries topped with real (and by real, I mean stuff with one ingredient: look at your labels next time you are in the dairy case) whipped cream. You've enjoyed the bursts of sweet and tart flavours topped with velvety cream. You put the spoon down and then you're done. Your brain knows you are full, it gets the message because of the fats. And you ate the real thing. How cool is that?

Another important thing to note about fats is that the nutrients in some foods are only available to us if they are accompanied by fat when eating them. A good example of this is kale or spinach. We know that they are really good for us, packed with vitamins and other nutrients, but did you know your body can only absorb those vitamins if you eat them along with fat and often an acid? Luckily for us, mother nature made it so that these foods are more appealing if prepared that way. Greens sautéed in butter (preferably grass-fed) or olive oil, then finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon and sprinkle of salt is a divine side dish, and one that Mediterranean cultures have long been preparing this way. Try it next time you get some quality leafy greens.

Since moving toward a more Primal/Paleo way of eating, I have increased my intake of fats and look at every plate to see if it contains some good fats. I have noticed that when I maintain this, I eat less - because I feel full faster and stay that way longer, my skin and hair feel much more healthy and I have a general improved sense of well-being. I even use full fat coconut milk in my coffee now and much prefer the taste of it to cream or milk, it has a smoother and sweeter taste on the tongue than coffee without. If I miss adding fat to a number of meals, my body actually craves it.

However, it is important to note that not all fats are created equally. A good rule of thumb for me is if I try to visualize the fat source as a whole food, would the fat have been evident through texture or taste? If yes, it's probably a healthy fat. Here are some sources of healthy fat:

Avocado











Coconut









Macadamias
Walnuts
Almonds










Olives








Pastured meats, Grass-fed dairy










For more information and a much better explanation of why (and what types, warning: it's not canola) fat should be an integral part of your diet, see this excellent post by Mark Sisson. Don't worry, all of his articles are well-researched and his conclusions are based on scientific research, not flavour of the day flashy headlines.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how many years I spent eating bland foods (like ALWAYS choosing white meat over dark meat at Thanksgiving) because I was so afraid of fat! When people roll their eyes when I mention the things I *don't* eat, I just say, "But you have no idea how delicious food can be when it's REAL food cooked with GOOD fats! So much flavour!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so interesting, and sad, that so many fall hook, line and sinker for the low-fat, low-cal options with the intention of doing good things for their health. In actual fact, those very foods sabotage your health and most weight-loss goals. I'm with you, the flavour of real food and good fats is second to none.

      Delete
    2. I'm not doing paleo but we are eating more whole foods than ever and almost always gluten-free. Yesterday we were at the Science and Tech Museum and we decided to have St-Hubert which we always love. Boy have my taste buds changed!! The sauce, which was always my favourite part, was way too salty. The chicken was salty and pinkish. I asked the waiter and he said because of their seasoning, their chicken is always pinkish. It was fully cooked but not appealing to me at all. The sweet potato fries were ok. The coleslaw was bland. Honestly I was shocked. I used to love going to restaurants it now, after the St-Hubert trip and an earlier one at East Side Mario's, I find my food at home so much better! And I'm no cook like Nicole! Lol even stuff I used to crave like cookies or cakes are not tasting like they used to. It's really fascinating.

      Delete
    3. Isn't it crazy how your taste buds change and become accustomed to real food? I find when I do a Whole30, or even just my general eating style now, really makes me sensitive to sweet, for example. I can't imagine eating most candy, my taste buds would be on overload!

      It is so nice to have the confidence and freedom to cook in your own home - you can be sure that your are eating superior meals with way better nutrition most of the time. It makes the treats, or "off-roading" as Whole9 calls it, way more worth it. I'd say find a better restaurant so you and D can go order a lovely meal that is reflective of the quality to which you have become accustomed.

      Delete